Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Fear

"Fear doesn't shut you down, it wakes you up.
-Veronica Roth



Our second day in the outreaches was beautiful and heart opening. Kenya feels like home to me and I find myself wanting to spend more time here.  I'm torn between my amazing community and love of Carrboro and North Carolina and the rich vibrancy of Kenya and the Africa Yoga Project.




Believe it or not, I got two hours of sleep because I am totally jet-lagged and off center regarding time so I went for a run. The elevation is something to get used to here and I couldn't run outside of the neighborhood because it isn't really safe for me to do so. I ran up and down a hill and it became a meditative practice. The security guards kept looking at me with wonder trying to figure out what I was doing running up and down the same hill.







We headed to an outreach and it exemplified everything that I love about Kenya. There were acrobats, folks riding unicycles, yogis, kids, and random people hanging out.  Handstanding was happening all around us and it really made me realize the folks I witnessed in that social hall aren't afraid to fall. They were practicing acrobatics and yoga on a hard, concrete floor with no mats or props and yet they didn't show any fear. They were playful which reminded of how much playfulness and curiosity allow the heart to open and fear to dissipate.




We had a sweet lunch at Sofia's house and then headed to Mercy Care. This outreach took place in the dead end of a road in a slum called Huruma. The kids were ready to practice and they stood outside in a circle and practiced, connected, inhaled and exhaled, and laughed.  The practice concluded with Jeff and I teaching the chicken dance. We're expanding our reach and soon children all over Kenya will know both the hokey pokey and the chicken dance.




This little girl caught my eye as we were leaving the outreach. She wasn't really sure about me, hence the look of fierceness on her face. 







The evening ended with us cooking up a feast after an exhilarating yoga practice. Salad with almonds, apples, and cheddar cheese, roasted potatoes, and beans and maize.


Joy lessens suffering and I am completely full of joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment