Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mwalimu

Day one of this experience with Africa Yoga Project was outstanding. As a yoga teacher I often think about how I am teaching. Am I teaching from what I know or trying to recreate someone else's teaching?
Am I authentic?
Am I honest?
Am I meeting the students where they are while encouraging them to let go of limitations and embrace possibility?
Am I present?
Am I calm and grounded?
Am I open to the students in the class teaching me more than I could ever teach them?

I woke up this morning and opened my eyes and realized I was in Kenya again, in the Africa Yoga Project house, about to start my day. I was elated and full of joy. We began our day by re-familiarizing ourselves with old friends and meeting some new friends.
Irene our wonderful rafiki and Penzi, Paige and Billy's daughter. 


We headed out to two outreaches today. One in Bridges of Success a school with young children learning yoga from the Ashtanga tradition. Eric is an amazing teacher and led these students through part of Primary Series 1



 





We had lunch with Irene's mom. She cooked a feast for us and we ate, and ate, and ate.






 We ventured on to Giovani a school for deaf children. The children gave us sign language names went through various partner poses. I had a sweet partner and then Jeff taught the children the chicken dance.









One girl who had not really been doing any of the yoga poses, got into the chicken dance, and went into the middle to find her inner chicken.
At the end the children thanked us for coming to the outreach.

Our day ended with a nice yoga class led by Sophia. She was grounded, possessed calm strength, and gave the best adjustments.

Mwalimu is the word in swahili for teacher.  Well, these teachers can teach anyone. The Africa Yoga Project teachers are the best teachers I have ever met. They are creative, authentic, present, real, life affirming, and open hearted. Their teaching translates to any setting and I am blessed to have this experience of learning from and being led by them.

1 comment:

  1. There is no one authentic-er than you, Michelle Johnson (and no mzungu can chicken dance quite as well as Jeff).

    ReplyDelete